Nowadays it´s quite common to browse between full rich content sites with, you know a lot of flash, jquery and xhtml. Every since the first appear of Ajax, developers all over the globe has explode its potential by following this amazing new way to walk through a website, click here and boila the content is automatically delivered to you without any time waste on leave the current page.
But it´s been a long since something dramatically cames to change the way we interact and enjoy the web. Could be said that html5 is the new (yeah sorry not so new ) big thing to revolutionize the web, if you haven´t yet check it out you should probably take a look to this and this and this sites.
With all this bast tools to build ( being from scratch or allready bundled ) amazing websites and make it ready to speak correctly with mobiles and even old-fashioned-browsers wouldn´t be exactly surprising if we include to our old friend SEO into the play.
Things you should know before markup html5 sites
- Semantically html5 is the right choise to organize your content, tags like header,footer,section,aside will become quickly the best way to replace your div wrappers but by know…
- Google currently won’t give special consideration to those that use HTML5, so if by any chance your top goal is the SEO of your site, well please desist you won´t get any more success than doing it with xhtml.
- Follow this guide to make your Ajax site crawlable to google bots.
Sure mom, now what?
Personally try to keep things simple and readable as much as i can, but when a best practice is the best way to do the things i prefer it all the time. As a developer i found very helpfull several tools that not only increase the delivery speed but also add interesting features, find below the list.
- Make sure your site accomplish with the w3c standard http://validator.w3.org/
- Yepnope is a conditional resource loader that allows you to add only the scripts that the browser needs.
- Modernizr allows you to target specifically functionality to your application, best replace to those ugly conditional IE tags .
- HTML5 Boilerplate, excellent framework with all best practices included to guaranty portability and display to your web apps.Also includes several allready mentioned libraries.
This isn´t a science neither everything is said as we evolve so the web does, there´s no doubt that we´ll eventually see and develope more html5 websites and it´s mandatory that we ready for it having in top of our minds the top goal wich is always to offer the best user experience.